Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 07:55:34 -0800

Eli, thanks very much for doing that review. It's clear we have a lot of work to do in the new module code. I have also been reviewing it and have some changes sort-of-prepared, and I'll try to start folding them in soon.

The main thing I noticed (that was not already in your list or in my upcoming changes) are some problems in memory allocation. The module code calls malloc directly, instead of xmalloc, for reasons I don't understand. This leads to problems, e.g., the memory is not properly accounted for by the memory profiler. Why can't the new module code invoke xmalloc? More generally, how should modules obtain memory in an Emacs-friendly way?

Also, the file name "emacs_module.h" doesn't use the usual Emacs style rules; hyphen not underscore. But as you say, "module.h" would be better anyway. I'll change it to "module.h" for now; if there's some reason it needs an "emacs" prefix we can change it to "emacs-module.h" later.

There are some other things I noticed which I'll try to summarize after fixing the stuff that's easy to fix (missing copyright notices, formatting, etc.).