Re: project.el semantics

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: project.el semantics
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:54:01 -0800

> Freedom has a cost. In particular, if directories can be recursive or not,
> *each* API consumer will have to pay the price of supporting both ways. Like
> I already said, xref-collect-matches will have to grow another code path.
> And every other similar function will have to do that too.
>
> I have mentioned this multiple times already. Why don't we stop going in
> circles?

Hi Dmitry,

I thank you for your nearly endless patience while we dance this dance. I will
write up a description of higher-level semantics later today, against which we
can look at the various API options.

Our API will live in Emacs for potentially decades; it's OK with me if it
takes us a few months to reach a satisfying consensus.

For the time being -- aka, Emacs 25.1 -- I think we should keep project.el in
core, so that xref.el can make use of it, but that we not document it until we
all agree on the API we want to commit to. Perhaps the preamble to project.el
should even state that it is presently for internal use only. I don't want us
to feel rushed to get this right.

John