Re: bug #18283 / change "Enable applescript in NextStep"

From: Anders Lindgren
Subject: Re: bug #18283 / change "Enable applescript in NextStep"
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 06:44:33 +0100

Hi,

This change allows applescripts like the following to work:

    tell application "Emacs"
         set the bounds of the first window to {100, 100, 500, 500}
    end tell

Without the change, the following error message is issued:

    test.oas:23:89: execution error: Emacs got an error: Can’t set bounds of window 1 to {100, 100, 500, 500}. (-10006)

However, after the change, Emacs repositions and resizes its frame nicely.

So,  the reporter of bug #18283 literally requested this change, but I think that may have just been a somewhat silly way to say:  “Can you please support AppleScript?”

But perhaps I’m misunderstanding all of this and there’s a grand master plan.

The original poster asked for this change in order to write automatic tests for the NextStep user interface. Concretely, it was used to verify that the recent problems with tool-bar-mode setting the wrong frame size was solved. I am absolutely sure that he did not implicitly expected a full AppleScript interface to be implemented.

    -- Anders Lindgren