Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 10:28:28 +0200

> Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 23:27:00 +0100
> From: Per Starbäck <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, Drew Adams <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> > If we are afraid users will hate this default, we can turn it off in
> > v25.1 and consider making it the default later.
>
> That would be good

I see no real reasons yet for such a decision.  Character folding was
introduced with the explicit goal of giving users what the other
text-editing and word-processing environments provide, what they
therefore are expected to expect.  To revert that decision will take
more than just "I think it's wrong" kind of posts.

> Should it be "Ignore accents for search"?

No, because ignoring accents is just a small part of character
folding.  Please take a look at character-fold.el for the details.

> > Alternatively, we
> > could quickly release Emacs 25.2 with character folding turned off if
> > we see an outcry.  But polling at this time will not be efficient,
> > IMO.
>
> Not at all as good! To "quickly release" something doesn't mean that
> it is a quick change for users, who may keep using that version for a
> long time.

If they are annoyed by a feature, they will upgrade quickly, I think.