Re: Better handling of window margins

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Better handling of window margins
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 21:02:04 -0800

>> If we want to be able to control the order, we will have to completely
>> redesign how display in the margins works, because currently this is
>> completely determined by the order we traverse the buffer text during
>> redisplay, i.e. the 'margin' display property that is on buffer position
>> displayed more to the left will be displayed before the one to its right.

> Yes, and it's for this problem that I suggest we introduce a new Elisp API
> to manage margin display properties (and make the API be line-based).

Do we really want to make margins more capable like this, or is there a better
way to approach this problem? Margins are just one aspect of a window's
overall display. It would be nice to have control over arbitrary regions
within the total window area. This could serve to better unify fringes and
margins, for example.