Disabling visual lines for macros (was: Speed of keyboard macro executio

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Disabling visual lines for macros (was: Speed of keyboard macro execution?)
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:01:27 -0800

> If it isn't made the default, I think it is fairly harmless to have a
> variable you could set to trigger David's proposed behavior. I doubt many
> people are going to use it, but if they do, they've explicitly chosen they
> want it, and it isn't in general our business to tell people how they should
> enjoy editing. Emacs is a highly programmable system, and if this the
> (non-default!) behavior is what someone wants, well, adding it means that
> people don't have to write the hack to do it on their own.

Such functionality does not require a new option in core, which the
maintainers then have to care for (documentation, testing, ensuring
correctness through future changes, etc). For it to receive that level of
"support", I want more evidence of its value.

Meanwhile, it can easily be done as an external module using advice. This
should be done first anyway, by David, to test whether it's as useful as he
thinks it is. Otherwise, we're just debating an idea without facts. We don't
even know if this would address any of the performance issues raised by this
thread.