Re: Emacs Git make bootstrap failure - idna related

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs Git make bootstrap failure - idna related
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:56:25 +0100

CHENG Gao <address@hidden> writes:

> make bootstrap error:
>
> ,----
> | Eager macro-expansion failure: (void-variable idna-program)
> |
> | In toplevel form:
> | gnus/deuglify.el:221:1:Error: Symbol’s value as variable is void:
> idna-program

Ah, this is probably because there's an old idna.el that Gnus is trying
to access, and the new one I wrote tonight.  That's probably not a good
thing, so I should rename the new one.

Anybody have an idea what the new library should be called?  IDNA is
probably short for something like Internationalized Domain Name...
algorithm?

Also, does anybody have an opinion on where Emacs should do IDNA
decoding?  Since any service can theoretically be located on an IDNA
name, I think the most likely place to do it is in
`open-network-stream'.  Then both

(open-network-stream ... "méxico.icom.museum" "imap")

and

`M-x eww http://méxico.icom.museum'

would work without doing much work in all the different libraries...

(Hm, url.el seems do be doing URL-encoding on the host name at present, so
that'll have to be fixed.)