RE: Basic questions about the triage process

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Basic questions about the triage process
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:50:05 -0800 (PST)

> > Yeah, if they're really old and aren't reproducing, closing them may be
> > the right thing to do.
>
> Andrew, I think your strategy is good, but can we turn that clock back to
> two years? Emacs doesn't move all that rapidly. If you can't reproduce
> something
> From 2013 or earlier, close it as cannot reproduce with a CC to the original
> reporter. Otherwise, ping the submitter with a CC to the bug address saying
> it can't be reproduced, but leave it open.

FWIW, I disagree that there should be a 2-year limit, or any limit.

If Emacs Dev has never responded to a bug report, no matter
how old, then it should be treated as new.  If you cannot
seem to reproduce it now then start by asking for more info -
and not after closing it, just as you would do for a bug
reported yesterday.

If Emac Dev has responded previously, that's a different
story.  But there is a giant backlog of bugs, and some of
them are several years old (perhaps even many years old)
and have never been responded to.

What should count, if you must count time elapsed, is the
time since the last attempt by a bug fixer to obtain info.
If no one has ever tried, then the clock should be reset
to zero.

(Just one opinion.)