Re: Is there any particular reason `scroll-other-window' is written in C

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is there any particular reason `scroll-other-window' is written in C and not in ELisp?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 18:02:40 +0200

> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:32:00 +0100

Because it needs to determine the new window-start which is a
window-full above or below the current one, without assuming that all
the lines have the same height in pixels.  How do you do that in Lisp?
(The current implementation simulates display.)

> The reason I'm asking is that C-M-v (and C-M-S-v, for that matter) do
> the wrong thing if the other window shows a pdf file using pdf-tools.
> If those commands were written in Elisp, I could not only advise them
> (which I can, and probably will), but also propose a patch or
> something.

Sounds like a bug that should be reported.  Not sure if it's in core
Emacs or not, but please do report it with all the necessary details
to whatever the guilty parties are.

Thanks.