Re: Emacs Mac port

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 01:11:18 -0500

  > I was just pointing out that as due to the current situation, I've
  > had people point out to me that my Emacs experience would be nicer
  > on MacOS than on GNU/Linux (and they are right: the best Emacs
  > experience today is not on GNU/Linux).

If there are technical advantages to running Emacs on MacOS rather
than on GNU,that is a bad thing.  Adding more MacOS-only features to
GNU Emacs would make it worse.

To correct this technical problem entails (1) putting support into X
display for these features and (2) making Emacs interface to them.
Since (1) is the hard job and (2) is comparatively easy, our proper
technical response is to urge people to work on (1).  Would you like
to work on it?

However, our response should not be purely technical, because the
problem is not purely technical.  A big part of the problem is that
these people judge the "best" experience in a shallow, superficial
way, considering convenience alone and disregarding freedom.  When you
judge based on freedom, SmackOS is a horrible experience.

We need to do more to point out this issue to the people who habitually
disregard it, or don't know about it.

I suggest showing other people fsf.org/tedx and
http://gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html.
Also http://gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html.

Your personal example can influence people.  If you put GNU/Linux on
your Mac, and tell your friends, "I want freedom.  I will sacrifice
some convenience so I can be free," you will influence some of them
somewhat.

See http://gnu.org/philosophy/compromise.html.

--
Dr Richard Stallman