Re: New iteration on the Emacs homepage

From: Nicolas Semrau
Subject: Re: New iteration on the Emacs homepage
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 00:35:08 +0100

On 07.01.2016 21:55, Nicolas Petton wrote:
Also new, I added 3 videos from Emacsrocks.com by Magnar Sveen.

As always, feedback is more than welcome!

I like the idea of using videos to get points about specific or unique features of Emacs across. I'd suggest one improvement: Please consider switching the current order of the "Features include" and the "Videos" sections. This would increase the information flow and hierarchy of the website in my opinion.

My reasoning: After being introduced by the usual short blurb of text in the header, the user would then be presented with a general overview of key features that make Emacs the valuable tool it is in the "Features" section. Since the information is presented as a small collection of thumbnailish screenshots with bits of accompanying text and the one screenshot at the top, this slowly increases the amount of information. It also slowly increases the required attention/engagement of the reader and gives him/her a general idea of what Emacs is and what it looks like.

With this gist in mind the reader could then choose to engage even more and drill deeper into specific features by watching the videos and seeing the editor in motion.

And who wouldn't rush to the "Obtaining" section after that? :)

Greetings,
Nicolas