Re: Next release from master

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:10:13 -0800

> My own conclusion based on how things worked during Emacs-24.N was that
> we're better off incrementing the major version every time there are new
> features. IOW the next release form master should be called 26.1 and 25.N
> should be kept for a bugfix-only releases from the emacs-25 branch.

I think you have a good point, Stefan. master should become emacs-26 at some
point in the future, once it's ready, while emacs-25 should only continue to
improve and stabilize the 25.x series.

I imagine we will be actively working in emacs-25 for at least 25.1 and 25.2,
before shifting attention over to master and leaving emacs-25 only for
maintenance.