Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc

From: David Caldwell
Subject: Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:43:00 -0800

On 1/19/16 6:57 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> One advantage of unexec is that you can do limited editing
> with the Emacs executable even if the Lisp files are missing.
> You couldn't do that with only temacs.

That leads to an interesting idea—what if one were to smash all the .elc
files that temacs loads as part of the undump process and then put them
into the temacs object, maybe by relinking them in as a giant array
(portable), or by shoving them into their own section with objcopy (not
really portable)? That would make the resulting binary basically usable
without any lisp files, plus it might help with I/O speed since 100
different files don't have to be read.

-David