Re: member inconsistency?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: member inconsistency?
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 12:20:51 +0100

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:25:42 +0100 Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Oh, thanks for the pointer.  So the patch I proposed reverts a change
>> Stefan deliberately made more than eight years ago.
>
> IMHO that change was wrong.  It made CHECK_LIST_CONS a no-op, and there
> was nothing wrong with it before Stefan's change.

AFAIU the code, I agree with you, but Stefan evidently didn't see it
that way at the time, and while the ChangeLog doesn't indicate whether a
problem was being fixed (and I found no discussion about it by skimming
through the emacs-devel archive), he disputed there was a bug when Johan
Bockgård reported exactly this issue a few months after the change.  But
I don't feel competent enough to argue against it, so I'm bowing out here.

Steve Berman