Re: make project--find-in-file generic, add interactive filename to proj

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: make project--find-in-file generic, add interactive filename to project-find-file
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 01:18:15 -0500

> (defun completing-read-strict (prompt
>                                collection &optional predicate
>                                hist default inherit-input-method)

I think `default' should come earlier, maybe even before `&optional'.

> I can use it in completing-read-strict to satisfy both points mentioned
> previously. But after trying it out, I'm not sure about the general
> applicability of the DEFAULT semantics here. It just seems awkward:

You can probably get a cleaner behavior if you change
minibuffer-complete-and-exit so that it does most of the new work (but
only when called from completing-read-strict).

> And as long as completing-read-strict, by itself, does allow the case of
> "default that doesn't match anything", that makes me doubt its semantics.

We could check `default' directly when we receive it, but I'd rather not
do that:
- it would ruin efforts to make completion tables more lazy.
- it's rarely useful, but in 99% of the cases, we already know that
  the default is a valid value.
But yes, it should probably be considered "bad karma" for the caller to
provide an invalid `default'.

        Stefan