Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:40:41 -0800

On 02/01/2016 08:51 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
I would prefer a `make' target or script

It is already in a script, and the script plainly notifies developers of the changes it makes to files under ./.git. Yes, in theory the process could be abused by an overenthusiastic script, but that is true for everything else the script does. In practice it's a win to run Git in way suitable for Emacs development, just as it's a win to run Autoconf and Automake in a way suitable for Emacs development.

There is nothing Emacs-specific on those settings

Each of those settings is there to support Emacs development. It is true that other projects could use similar settings. For example, another project could also check that commit messages be in UTF-8. However, such a check is not appropriate for Git in general, as Git supports developers who use non-UTF-8 encodings for their commit messages. So we can't rely on vanilla Git to check that commit messages use UTF-8.