Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 17:51:43 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 02/01/2016 08:01 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> If those config settings are so good, why don't you spend your energies
>> on convincing the git maintainers
>
> Emacs has its own development style and processes, which we can't
> expect the rest of the world to adopt.

There is nothing Emacs-specific on those settings, so this argument is
not valid.

Paul and Karl: I know you are doing this on good faith and I appreciate
your efforts, but this approach of changing the .git/config file (and
the emacs' .git/config file is also on my system, Karl) is a bit
worrying. If the change produces some side-effect, it's the user who is
in charge of investigating what's going on and imagine his surprise
when, after looking at .git/config in desperation, he sees it edited.

>> The Emacs build process has no bussiness on sneaking config changes that
>> affects how tools work on my system
>
> Yes, the developer should be told. This was already done for Git
> hooks, but I forgot to do it for Git configuration settings. I fixed
> that by installing the attached patch into emacs-25.

Thanks, but I would prefer a `make' target or script and a mention on
CONTRIBUTING about all the good it will cause if the user ever decides
to execute it.