Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 11:13:25 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> It sounds like strange practice to me.  >"?  The OS will clean up
> everything, no matter whether we're using threads or not.  If not, the
> OS would be pretty fragile.

Agreed with the last statement.  But in the general case, it could be
that the clean up the OS does will result in an application inconsistent
(external) state whereas an explicit cleanup won't as it may include
more processing/clean up.  But as it apparently does not apply to this
case, I'll just stop to elaborate on this and start to learn more about
the Emacs environment instead.  And I'll try to no longer waste your
time with this topic.  I already exhausted it too much with foolish
questions, I think... :)

>> Furthermore, in your proposal, processes with pending DNS requests are
>> maintained in a separate list `dns_processes'.  If a LISP process gets
>> deleted by a call to `delete-process', and DNS requests are still
>> pending for it, it might be that `connect_network_socket' will be called
>> even though the process has been deleted.
>
> That sounds like a bug.  I'll get fixin'.

Thanks!  In this regard, I was wondering if it is really worth to
maintain a separate `dns_processes' list.  Why not just loop over all
processes and try to get the requests for those where `p->dns_requests'
is not NULL?  Would that be too costly?

Thanks again
Alain