Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 22:05:40 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 20:35:53 +0100
>
> >   M-: (get-char-code-property ?ñ 'decomposition) RET
> >
> >    => (110 771)
> >
> > 110 is 'n' and 771 is U+0303 NON-SPACING TILDE, a combining accent.
>
> AFAIK Unicode doesn't mandate what the Spanish alphabet is.

I didn't say it did.

> I thought that the point of the feature was to provide searching with
> support for character equivalence classes

It is.

> But you are saying that the feature is about how the characters are
> encoded by the computer and not about how they are used by
> people. If that is true, it should be disabled by default.

But it isn't true.  This has (almost) nothing to do with encoding,
get-char-code-property accesses properties, not encodings.

Perhaps you aren't familiar with Unicode equivalence, in which case I
suggest these sources:

  http://unicode.org/reports/tr10/#Searching
  http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn5/
  http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr30/tr30-4.html