Re: [Emacs-diffs] master de76a16: Performance improvements for vc-hg

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master de76a16: Performance improvements for vc-hg
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 12:28:29 -0800

On 02/08/2016 12:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 12:11:46 -0800
>>
>>> Having to go through the trouble of re-implementing part of the VCS to
>>> parse the internal data to figure out the working revision, even though
>>> we have no idea if the user will ever care, is deeply unsatisfactory.
>>
>> I find the information useful, and we can now get it cheaply.
>
> We are paying a non-trivial price as a project for that information,
> see for example bug#21559.  Maybe it should be an option, off by
> default?

bug#21559 is a corner case.

vc has been in place for decades, and is one of the things that makes
programming on Emacs pleasant. I'm not in favor of just removing the
feature because there are a few unfixed bugs. There is nothing
fundamentally wrong with the model.

Making vc itself an option that's off by default makes no sense. Under
what circumstances should a user enable the feature? "When he's willing
to pay the cost" is the answer I expect. How is the user supposed to
know what the cost is? How is he supposed to know the feature even
exists? Every feature has a cost; in the case of vc, that cost is well
worth the benefit.

There is no reason that vc integration can't work well and be on by
default. It was working before my change; now it works better. A
reasonable performance improvement should not be an occasion for
discussing the removal of a feature made faster.