Re: [ELPA] tramp-theme.el

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: [ELPA] tramp-theme.el
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:41:39 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package
>
>> Please include it in emacs! ;-)
>
> :) It's on its way. I'm still gathering copyright assignments from everyone
> who contributed over the last few years. Once that's done, it will appear in
> the part of ELPA that ends up in the 26.1 tarball.
>
> The only reason it wouldn't appear in Emacs core is that nothing in core needs
> it; it's only going to be there for users, which is a pretty clear criterion
> for when something belongs in GNU ELPA rather than in core.

Well, following this logic, you have to move every package to GNU ELPA.
Nothing in emacs core needs dired, eshell, c-mode, python-mode, ...

I think something like use-package is a very important core component of
emacs. Since it allows a user to depend on a package. No matter if it is
already installed or not.

In my opinion this is a requirement when packages are shifted to ELPA.

The transition that I will do is, replacing require and load statements
in my .emacs by use-package statements. That is something that is
do-able.

Stefan.