Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:00:02 +0100

On Tue, Feb 16 2016, Per Starbäck <address@hidden> wrote:
> ###   Searching for "n" and finding "ñ" in Spanish, or searching for
> "a" and finding "ä" in Swedish
> ###   are just as strange as searching for "i" and finding "j" in English.
>
> It's as if many people on this list just won't believe that statement,
> which is very frustrating.

My impression of this thread is that people *do* understand the
importance of making char-folding language-dependent and that the
maintainers hope to implement this at some point in the future. For
various reasons, however, it is not possible to do so now.

The general opinion is also that char-folding is nonetheless useful to
many users, despite the fact that it will generate incorrect results in
some languages. The only question that needs to be answered right now is
whether the feature will be turned on or off by default. And on that
point, the tendency seems to be to have it off by default, with the
ability to toggle it within an i-search.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments