`package.el' and built-in packages

From: Jiří Šebele
Subject: `package.el' and built-in packages
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 21:06:13 +0100

Hello,

I found out that `package-installed-p’ return non-nil values even for built-in packages, and that `package-install’ does nothing when trying to install a package that’s among those that are built-in. I’ve bumped into this when trying to set up my Emacs config to automatically pull in packages if they are not installed, which in turn failed to install a newer version of Org that the one shipped with Emacs.

To my knowledge the only way to install a newer Org now is to manually click `Install’ in `package-list-packages’, which interferes with my intent to automatically install packages that are not present when Emacs starts up.

I think that `package.el’ should be able to install packages even if they are built-in, since it install them to `~/.emacs.d/elpa’ anyways.

Regards,
– Jiří