Re: New emacs download page

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: New emacs download page
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 19:21:34 +0100

Hi Richard,

> There is nothing ethically wrong about giving all this detail
> about these two free distros, but it seems totally redundant.
>
> The user of any system should know what its general method is
> for installing packages.  It is wasteful and pointless for us
> to repeat that information here.

I disagree.  From my experience, many users are lost when it comes to
installing Emacs on their system.

Several Windows users have asked me how to get Emacs to run on Windows,
should they use the zip provided on the GNU server (which BTW they often
find hard to find) or if there is a better way.

I got even worse feedback from OS X users who seemed completely lost as
the current Emacs page does not mention at all how to install it on OS
X, and does not provide OS X packages.

If you compare this with what the competition is doing, you might
understand why I think we need to improve this.

Let's take the Atom editor (https://atom.io).  They provide on the front
page links for each system, from .deb archives to .app files for OS X,
which makes it dead simple for newcomers to install their editor on any
supported system.

Nico