Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:45:12 -0500

  > It's insane that Emacs now calls these `cl-caddr' etc., instead of
  > calling them `caddr' etc. like all other Lisps (those that have
  > them) - including Emacs prior to this renaming.

"Renaming" is a misleading description of what happened.
Emacs Lisp never included a caddr function under any name
before among its standard functions.

There was a caddr function in the optional cl package (which I suppose
is still there), and there is now a cl-caddr function in the cl-lib
package.

                                                     Hard to believe
  > this actually went down.

In 1985 I needed to keep Emacs small.  I could not afford to add
functions such as caddr.

Today, there is no need to keep Emacs so small.  So we may as well add
c...r and c....r to Emacs Lisp.

--
Dr Richard Stallman