Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:57:37 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 01:57:32PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> As mentioned last time this follow-mode discussion came up, I think
> >> a better approach (maybe not easier, but more generally useful) would be
> >> to add an Elisp hook that can control the order in which
> >> windows are redisplayed.

> > But that's orthogonal to the issues described by Alan, right?

> Hmm... unless I misunderstood his suggestion, no.  Because "my" Elisp hook
> would let you do what he wants directly in Elisp without any changes
> in C.

What would this lisp hook do, and where?

Merely controlling the order of window display is no great feat.
Determining window starts for these Follow Mode windows is the difficult
bit.  Currently Follow Mode fights with the display engine to get what
it needs, often resulting in delays of several tenths of a second in the
subsequent redisplay operations after the first one.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).