Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 01:40:12 +0200

>> Like (defcustom char-fold-defaults '(ignore-diacritics match-ligatures ...?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Not sure if such terms are self-descriptive.  At least plain pairs like
>> '((o ø) (l ł) ...) should be enough to customize at the base character level,
>> and later we might consider grouping such pairs into a more high-level
>> features like ‘spanish-diacritics’, ‘swedish-diacritics’, etc.
>
> Such grouping is what I had in mind.  I don't expect users to remember
> these characters by heart.

OTOH, they definitely know what characters they want to ignore.

>> > I think we need to create another uni-*.el file which defines a
>> > decomposition char-table populated from decomps.txt.
>>
>> The name of the currently used Unicode character property is “decomposition”.
>> What would be a good name for the property from decomps.txt?
>> “decomposition2”?
>
> I'm not good at naming stuff, but how about collating-decomposition or
> decomposition-for-collation?

Or to put decompositions from decomps.txt into the same table
with UnicodeData.txt decompositions, but mark these additional
decompositions by a special tag "<collation>", or better using
the same tag "<sort>" introduced in decomps.txt.