Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 13:42:28 -0500

>> >     Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.
>> FWIW, I think if you want to speed up back_comment, a simpler approach
>> is to make it use syntax-ppss, which already implements a cache, and
>> will usually already have the cache filled for you.
> My changes might speed up back_comment, but that's not the prime reason
> for them.  Rather, I want utterly to expunge all the nonsense about
> parens in column 0.

Not sure how the two differ.  The main/only real use for this "paren in
column 0" hack is for back_comment.  IOW my comment also applies to "if
you want to get rid of all the nonsense about parens in column 0".

> That a high class editor such as Emacs should have
> problems with such parens is ludicrous and unacceptable.

FWIW, I (setq open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start nil) in my ~/.emacs.

> With my change, open_paren_in_column_0_is_defun_start simply vanishes
> from syntax.c[*], as does `find_defun_start'.

Using syntax-ppss would give you the same benefit.

My point is that instead of creating a new kind of "syntax cache" for
this specific purpose, we'd be better off using the cache we already have.

        Stefan