Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:28:24 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> The ChangeLog is useful for some of us. But I would contend that its
>> usefulness doesn't trump all the contributors we have discouraged by
>> insisting on our quite singular submission format.

ChangeLogs also have a big impact when long-lived branches need to be
merged, and IIRC are a major pain for external projects that
periodically merge with Emacs (org).

> Thank you, Lars, you have pretty much summed up my own concerns.
>
> To summarize several of the points in this thread so far:
>
>   - First, and most importantly, we have significant contributors who rely on
>     and enjoy the ChangeLog file -- even if there are others, and potential
>     contributors, who dislike it.
>
>     If people doing the "real work" are using this file, we should
>     keep it.

Why not explore the possibility of giving the information they want from
the VC system? As I see this issue, the ChangeLog is seen as
indispensable by those who don't know how to use Git. We can ask them
about their requirements and try to provide the necessary Emacs
commands.

[snip]