Re: Problems with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text prope

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Problems with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 13:04:37 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 02:30:35PM +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 03/11/2016 02:08 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > I disagree about the need to fix syntax-ppss - medium level functions
> > should be rigorous and determinate.

> This sentence makes no sense to me.

syntax-ppss is a "medum level function".  It is neither a primitive nor
a high level function.

Such a function should be "determinate", in that it should always do the
same thing given the same arguments and external conditions.

Such a function should be "rigorous", in that it should do the Right
Thing in any circumstances.

I'm saying there is a need to fix syntax-ppss, since it is neither
determinate nor rigorous.

Does that make sense?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).