Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:28:57 +0200

> From: Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:17:02 -0800
>
> I think the low-tech option of a "commit-msg-override" directory with
> one (updated) commit message per file (and the file name being the hash
> of the commit being updated) is also still on the table.
>
> This directory could be trivially checked by whatever tool will be used
> to turn the git log into a ChangeLog file.

That could work, provided that Someoneā„¢ will post the changes to the
gitlog-to-changelog script (or maybe an entirely different script) to
produce ChangeLog from the log messages.

This solution should also support merging from the release branch to
master and cherry-picks in the opposite direction, where (AFAIK) SHA1
checksum is not necessarily left intact.