Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentat

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 26b56dc: Fix some single quotes in documentation
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:24:55 -0700

On 03/14/2016 10:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Are we sure NEWS will always be read either in Emacs or on a terminal
that supports these characters?  I frequently look at it with Less,
but maybe I'm alone.

I use Less a lot too, and it works fine (Fedora 23). These days the problem with non-ASCII characters typically isn't the Less program, it's the terminal or operating system being misconfigured for UTF-8, or not supporting UTF-8. This problem is not limited to etc/NEWS of course; it occurs with all the UTF-8 source files. The question is whether etc/NEWS is enough of a special case that we should keep it in ASCII despite the rest of Emacs moving to UTF-8.