Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 19:03:58 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 12:52:48 -0400

> >> That's a problem in itself, since it leads to annoying commit diffs that
> >> repeat other things, and it changes "git log" ordering in confusing ways
> >> (makes it seem like mainline's development is Philip's and when happened
> >> on master during this time was done on a branch).
> > Indeed.  But sometimes this cannot be avoided, because no matter how
> > quick you are, there's always a chance that someone else pushes
> > between your local commit and your push.  The probability of this
> > could be brought down significantly by "git pull" before the local
> > commit, but it cannot be eliminated altogether.
>
> "git rebase" should do the trick.

We've been through this: "git rebase" will cause much worse trouble if
you have local merge-commits from feature branches.  So I at least
will never use "git rebase" unless I have no other choice.

When we started using Git, I explicitly asked whether we cared about
the messed-up DAG due to these merge-commits, and the answer was "we
don't".  So I never looked back, and I guess others didn't, too.