Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limi

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66:]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 16:00:17 +0300

On 24/03/2016 18:38 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> They might not.  They might.  Basically, nobody else really seams
> interested in my idea, so it doesn't look like it will happen.

Alan, your proposed solution seems very nice to me.

Probably the islands could be nested in some way (maybe like bidi rtl
and ltr text).

For example, if we have HTML with embedded PHP, the whole buffer would
be in HTML major mode; top-level PHP code spans will be islands nested
beneath top level (nesting level 1) and there could be HTML lines nested
inside the PHP ones (say, when PHP cycles over some collection and
prints HTML snippet for each element of it) - that would be nesting
level 2.  That will make usual narrowing more helpful and context-aware.

However, the major mode can decide to put all PHP on the level 1
nesting, so the whole buffer would be HTML (nesting 0) interspersed with
PHP (nesting 1).

Filipp