Re: good examples of Emacs modules?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: good examples of Emacs modules?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 17:34:03 +0200

Aurélien Aptel <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm in the process of writing an introduction. You can find a draft here:
>
> http://diobla.info/blog-archive/modules-tut.html
>
> It should get them started.

Thanks for working on this. I'm considering a module for using libgit2
from Emacs, but passing data structures around and the creation, storage
and disposal of long-lived data (sessions, etc) looks a bit daunting.
Some documentation would help a lot.

> Everything else is documented in the emacs-module.h header.

The documentation on that file is scant, to say it lightly. We need high
level descriptions of the APIs, with examples, if possible. Then, a
chapter on techniques and recommended strategies for creating and using
modules that reflect common C API designs. Whithout that, the real job
is not creating a module for libfoo, but figuring out how emacs modules
are supposed to work.