Re: Your latest commits on emacs-25

From: Mark Oteiza
Subject: Re: Your latest commits on emacs-25
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:28:45 -0400

On 19/04/16 at 09:28am, John Wiegley wrote:

> > Mark, I don't understand why these commits: aa0d83a7, 0f332848, and ac00a92e
> > -- were pushed to emacs-25 and not to master. The last one was a very old
> > bug, we've been living with it since 2009. As for the other 2, I'm not sure
> > I understand what problem they are solving, let alone why it was urgent to
> > solve in 25.1. Can you explain?
>
> We haven't heard a response yet to our concern about making these changes on
> emacs-25. If you could please let us know, that would be helpful; otherwise,
> if there is no response by the end of the week, they will be reverted and
> moved to master.

They were pushed to emacs-25 because they are very small fixes, and they
would be merged to master anyways.

AIUI emacs-25 is fine for safe changes; these are small fixes which had
patches on the list for some time (with the exception of aa0d83a, though
it is the same kind of fix as the other in rect.el).  If this is not the
case, please advise.

There has been much churn over what the purpose of the branches are, the
rationale of which was neither explained nor clarified on the relevant
thread on which I specifically recall mentioning what the status quo was
and asking why it was being changed.  It is pretty irritating to be
jumped on for what are perhaps the least intrusive pushes of those
I have made recently.

This reads to me like a great example of the magnitude of a change being
inversely proportional to the response--I would understand the inquiry
if the referenced commits were adding new features or breaking things.
They aren't, so alas, I don't understand it, and I can only hope there
is some misunderstanding.