Re: vc-state and unregistered

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: vc-state and unregistered
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 15:07:30 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04/24/2016 03:45 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>>> The actual behavior will not change. This is what I'm proposing: to
>>> put the current behavior of (vc-state FILE) into spec.
>>
>> Sometimes it returns nil, sometimes unregistered.
>
> When does it return `unregistered'?

See my recent commit.

>> Is this really what we
>> want to offer as a spec?
>
> Just nil, obviously.

That's not what's specified.

>> I'm going to push my changes accumulated over the last weeks. You will
>> see by the comments in vc-test--state, that the situation has been
>> improved. Less FIXME comments. I'm not saying that I'm satisfied already ...
>
> What about my changes?

I have applied some of them. I have not applied the reversion of calling
vc-responsible-backend instead of vc-backend, because I'm not convinced
yet that this is proper.

vc-state returns unregistered now in most of the cases when it should,
as it is specified. Pls show me the bugs, I might have introduced.

And yes, I have ackmnowledged already that we must speak about performance.

Best regards, Michael.