Re: Add a commit hash (first 6 chars) column to cgit webpage?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Add a commit hash (first 6 chars) column to cgit webpage?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 03:05:45 +0000

It's just a matter of convenience.. I have bookmarks set for http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=emacs-25, http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/ and http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/log/. So it is just easier/quicker to browse through those quickly in multiple tabs in a browser.

Also, I use the search interface on cgit.. it's very powerful for my purpose where I can search by log/author/etc.

I am not saying that git CLI/Magit/gitk/etc cannot do that.. just that cgit helps me do this stuff pretty quickly. Some day I might find the non-brower git commit browsing quicker.

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 10:57 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 14:37:42 +0000
>
> We typically reference to emacs commits with their hashes. The cgit webpage does not show the commits:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/log/?h=emacs-25
>
> So I need to hover the mouse over each commit to see its hash in the browser status bar at the bottom (or it
> shows as tooltip when hovered on with mouse in eww). I wuold like to avoid this mouse-hover step.
>
> As I don't know where to request this, I am mailing this here and hopefully it gets forwarded to the right
> person.
>
> Request:
>
> Can we have one more column (probably on the left of commit description) that shows the first 6 chars of the
> commit hash?

Why do you use cgit?  Why not just use Git itself locally?

Kaushal Modi