Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:16:04 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:53 PM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Org-mode doesn't have any contact management as far as I know (which is not
> much since I have not yet used it).

There is org-contacts.

Good to know.  It looks like it is field-based, requiring you to create or reuse a template and then fill in fields in particular locations.  This is one of the things I hated about other contact managers and why Hyperbole's was developed.  It uses free-from records and full-text search for retrieval across any number of contact files desired.  It even looks up BBDB records automatically, all with no configuration.  The Hyperbole contact manager uses Emacs outlining so you can have hierarchies of records, e.g. departments or other organizations and find them all at once grouped together and many other features without the need to add extensions or configure much of anything.

> Org-mode does nothing for management of libraries of information.

Deft has integration with Org-mode for this, among others (like Helm).

I had not heard of Deft.  I'll have to check it out.

John, if you can remember that far back, maybe you could tell people what you liked about Hyperbole and how you used it to give people an idea.

Bob