Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:41:34 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 8:39 PM, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> John, if you can remember that far back, maybe you could tell people what
> you liked about Hyperbole and how you used it to give people an idea.

I remember liking the way I could build up a highly cross-linked set of
heterogenous data. But I think I realized I was spending too much time making
those connections, so I later moved to Wikis and their auto-linkify of
CamelCase

Could you explain in a bit more detail or provide a pointer as to how this works?

(which Hyperbole probably does, but maybe I didn't know it then).

Hyperbole started out as a toolkit with the idea that multiple UIs would be developed for it.  Now we do more of the UI development as part of Hyperbole.
This could be a useful area to improve once we understand it better.

I'll have to try out the public release once its out, to see how it relates to
Org-mode, which is currently how I manage the sea of tasks and textual
information that I deal with.

Org-mode is ripe to be the next thing integrated with Hyperbole.  One thing that would speed this process a bit is if someone could provide me with a real-world org-mode sample
(it would only be used for technical reference internally and the information not shared anywhere) exercising a reasonable bit of its capabilities.  I'm not sure whether the samples
offered with org-mode do enough of this.  Maybe we will have some discussions with the org-mode developers as well.  I see the two packages as very complementary at this point
rather than duplicative (some of the extensions are duplicative).

  But I keep my calendar and contacts outside of
Emacs these days, because it's necessary to have them on my phone as well,
since that's the primary place I use that data nowadays.

Another user has brought this up.  Our main thought here is to allow for importation from Google contacts and calendar as there are many tools that can import to these and they provide a good set of exports for which there are tools to convert to yet more formats.  There is an Emacs library that takes an export of Google contacts and exports a basic set of the information to BBDB which the Hyperbole Rolo can then search.  This kind of process could be streamlined as the specific use cases are identified.

Bob

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2