Change in handling of the Windows key

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Change in handling of the Windows key
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:46:14 +0100

In recent-ish builds of the emacs-25 branch, I find that the Windows
key is intercepted by Emacs and no longer opens the start menu. (The
Windows key still opens the start menu if Emacs is not the foreground
application.) Is this a deliberate change?

(This is on Windows 7, which I have to use at work. On Windows 10 I
can still open the start screen in the usual way.)

I know the lack of a usable super key on Windows has always annoyed
those who are used to super key bindings, so I understand why one
might want to intercept the Windows key, but some users (for example,
me) don't use any such bindings in Emacs and like to be able to open
the start menu by pressing the Windows key.

Isn't it too late in the release cycle to be adding such a disruptive change?

That aside, whenever the change is released, please will someone add
instructions to the NEWS stanza to explain how to configure Emacs so
that the Windows key behaves the way it used to?