Re: Beyond release

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Beyond release
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:29:44 +0000

Hello, Andreas.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 08:10:25PM +0200, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> >> syntax-propertize-function:

> > Quotes from Emacs's source code are not sufficient evidence of your
> > claims.

They can be.  Or they can be very powerful supporting evidence.

> Not if you snip a relevant part.

Indeed not.

> (defun syntax-propertize (pos)
>    "Ensure that syntax-table properties are set until POS (a buffer point)."
>    (when (< syntax-propertize--done pos)
>      (if (null syntax-propertize-function)
>          (setq syntax-propertize--done (max (point-max) pos))
>        ;; (message "Needs to syntax-propertize from %s to %s"
>        ;;          syntax-propertize--done pos)
>        (set (make-local-variable 'parse-sexp-lookup-properties) t)
>        (save-excursion
>          (with-silent-modifications ...

> where

> (if (null syntax-propertize-function)

> wouldn't pos a problem.

> However, when called from syntax-propertize-function, this certainly
> wont be null, .....

It might well be when syntax-propertize is called directly from
syntax-ppss.  This happens even when syntax-propertize-function is nil.

> .... then the propertize-branch is entered. Might the branches be
> simple bound wrong, i.e. reverse?

No, I don't think so.  syntax-propertize--done is supposed to be the
marker of upper limit of where the properties are valid.  In the case
where there's no syntax-propertize-function, one might as well set this
to a high value, which likely prevents syntax-propertize being called too
often.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).