Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 19:36:30 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 12:06:28 -0400
>
> ChangeLog-style formatting. Sorry. I was talking about the benefits and
> reasons for having that specific format and the problems from when the
> format is not followed (bad formatting, misspellings, etc.)

What format do you suggest instead?

The advantage of the current formatting is that we have Emacs features
which support it very well.  Any other formatting will have to grow a
similar support first.  And then we all need to re-learn.

IOW, isn't this suggestion going to favor casual contributors over
those who push commits day in and day out?

> I was trying to say that using a pull request system would reduce the
> need for writing every commit message as if it was going into a
> ChangeLog, and would give better assurance that mistakes are caught
> before they get merged. It has many other benefits (code review,
> community feedback) but I was commenting specifically for ChangeLogs,
> following up to an old message.

As I wrote, I have doubts that we will be able to sustain such a
system.  Maybe I'm wrong.