RE: Emacs is lying to me, or curly quotes strike again

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs is lying to me, or curly quotes strike again
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 08:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

FWIW, having to do this kind of thing now to doc strings is nuts:

 "Major mode for editing JSX.

 To customize the indentation for this mode, set the SGML offset
 variables (`sgml-basic-offset', `sgml-attribute-offset' et al.)
 locally, like so:

   (defun set-jsx-indentation ()
     (setq-local sgml-basic-offset js-indent-level))
   (add-hook \\='js-jsx-mode-hook #\\='set-jsx-indentation)"
             ^^^                   ^^^
              |                     |

And some who write doc strings will sometimes not bother to be
so careful as to do it.  And the resulting rendered "code" will
not be copy+pastable.  So there will be questions here & there
about why code that was copied doesn't work...

Yes, I know the mantra: "That ship has sailed."  It should never
have made it out of the shipyard.  Nay; it should never have even
been constructed.  It was built and launched overnight, with only
a few nightowls sounding the alarm and those in charge turning
their backs.  This will be a sizable pebble in our shoe for a
long time to come...

(And why the extra newline after the first docstring line, BTW?
That's not conventional, and it doesn't help users, IMHO.)

(And please consider using plain text for mail to the list.)