Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:26:15 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:50:04 -0400
>
> >  . the file's buffer could be unibyte, in which case you want
> >    insert-file-contents-literally, I think
>
> We could try to be more careful in this way, indeed.  But AFAIK the only
> risk here is to flag a file as being changed when it hasn't, which is no
> worse than what we currently do (i.e. a false alarm), so I'm not sure
> it's worth the trouble.

The documentation should state this exemption, lest users expect
unibyte buffers to get the same treatment.

> > And, of course, please provide documentation for the feature.
>
> Not sure what there is to document, actually (I do have a NEWS entry for
> it, OTOH).

>From the ELisp manual:

 -- Function: ask-user-about-supersession-threat filename
     This function is used to ask a user how to proceed after an attempt
     to modify an buffer visiting file FILENAME when the file is newer
     than the buffer text.  Emacs detects this because the modification
     time of the file on disk is newer than the last save-time of the
     buffer.  This means some other program has probably altered the
     file.

Some of that will no longer be accurate once we install your changes.