Re: emacs-losedows-builder

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: emacs-losedows-builder
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 14:15:43 +0000

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016, 7:12 AM Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
Or perhaps
you think of Microsoft as a competitor that deserves respect, rather
than as an enemy that has subjugated millions of people.

Actually before you brought this up, I never thought of the "win" part in Windows could mean any respect at all. "Win" gives a positive message probably just in English language and happens to be the first part of the word windows. This kind of micro-digging to find ways of name calling the competitor does not suit well to our community. If we should find and advertise tangible reasons to why we are better than the competitor.

For all many would care, windows might as well be foodows, and the code in the patch used foo- instead of win-.  That "win-" part means nothing else than happening to be the first part of Windows. Victory flags do not go waving in my mind when I read some code with "win-". I believe such trivial refactoring feedback would be demoralizing to contributors.

But I agree with the similar change suggested by Glenn on the grounds of coding consistency.
--

Kaushal Modi