Re: Some proposed backports from master to emacs-25

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some proposed backports from master to emacs-25
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 17:54:54 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 10:05:50 -0400
>
> I had marked some bugs as fixed in 25.2 and pushed to master because I
> didn't know at the time it was going to be 26.  I think there were some
> others working under the same assumption, so I've gathered those fixes
> to backport in a semi-automated fashion by searching commit messages in
> the range emacs-25..master for non-wishlist bugs marked fixed in 25.2,

Could you please provide a short explanation why you think each of the
backports should be in 25.2?  I've looked through the log messages,
and couldn't figure that out easily.

In general, since we want 25.2 released quickly, I think the criteria
for back-porting should be somewhat rigid, something like:

  . any doc fixes
  . regressions from 24.5
  . problems introduced in features new in 25.1

> (defvar backporting-fixed-bug-list
>   (debbugs-get-bugs :status "done" :tag "fixed"
>                     :archive "both"))
>
> (defvar backporting-fixed-bug-status-list
>   (apply #'debbugs-get-status backporting-fixed-bug-list))
>
> (defun backporting-fixed-25.2-bug-list ()
>     (cl-loop for bug in backporting-fixed-bug-status-list
>              if (and (member "25.2" (cdr (assq 'fixed_versions bug)))
>                      (not (equal "wishlist" (cdr (assq 'severity bug)))))
>              collect (cdr (assq 'id bug))))

That looks quite a bit more than the above criteria, but maybe I'm
missing something.

Thanks.