Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs as browser (was Re: Concurrency, again)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:33:52 +0300

> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:38:06 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Wayland is on the horizon for Linux. X doesn't have an infinite
> life ahead of it, it dates from the 1980s and the free OS world
> is working to move past it (thus Wayland).

Mostly irrelevant for Emacs, since we have no experts on that on
board, and no development being done in that direction AFAIK.  Without
such development, we will be forever tied to X (and die when it dies),
and any attempts to break those ties will end up like the Cairo build
did, unfortunately, even though the person who worked on that was an
excellent expert (he just left too soon).

IOW, all these nice developments are just pipe dreams, as long as no
one works seriously on adapting Emacs to them.  IMO, working on that
is much more important for the future of Emacs than any other
improvements, including, but not limited to, the "future of Emacs
Lisp" discussions, the "feature/integrated-elpa" discussions, etc.
Developing Emacs without first-class experts on X on board makes no
sense to me.