Re: RFC: flicker-free double-buffered Emacs under X11

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: RFC: flicker-free double-buffered Emacs under X11
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 05:24:18 +0200

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

> This patch teaches Emacs how to use the X11 DOUBLE-BUFFER extension to
> avoid showing the user incomplete drawing results. Without this patch,
> I can make Emacs flicker like crazy by running isearch for a piece of
> text unique in a buffer and holding down C-s. With this patch, Emacs
> does not flicker no matter what I do to it.
[snip]

For me Emacs flickers by just writing or scrolling around. It is quite
annoying to work with unless I activate the tearing prevention feature
on KDE's settings, which I'll like to avoid because it is buggy.

I'm eager to try your code, but `patch' complains about

address@hidden:~/dev/emacs/stable/source$ patch -p 1 < ~/p.patch
patching file configure.ac
patching file src/Makefile.in
patch: **** malformed patch at line 60: $(LIBSELINUX_LIBS) \

And indeed, the patch shows:

    $(LIBXML2_LIBS) $(LIBGPM) $(LIBS_SYSTEM) $(CAIRO_LIBS) \
    $(LIBS_TERMCAP) $(GETLOADAVG_LIBS) $(SETTINGS_LIBS)
$(LIBSELINUX_LIBS) \
    $(FREETYPE_LIBS) $(FONTCONFIG_LIBS) $(LIBOTF_LIBS) $(M17N_FLT_LIBS) \

It looks like the typical text wrap problem. There are more cases like
this.

Could you send the patch as an attachment, please?