Re: Can we go GTK-only?

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Can we go GTK-only?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:54:38 -0400

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:47:23 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
> > address@hidden From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> > Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 08:59:11 -0700
> >
> > Of course there's no direct access to glyph matrices, but you can
> > imagine a scheme where both of the two parts above each have an
> > idea of what desired layout should be.
>
> That's exactly the part that needs to be carefully designed.  It is
> nowhere near what we have now, because the current expression of
> "the idea of what the desired layout should be" is the glyph
> matrices, which in their present shape cannot be shared by several
> processes.
>
> I'm not even sure we could come up with a useful scheme that would
> allow such a division in a way that will let the communications
> between the two work efficiently.  It remains to be shown that this
> is feasible.

So there would seem to be two obvious ways to keep the two
matrices in sync. One would be to record all the changes made on the
one side as they are made and serialize that. The other way would be
to use a dynamic programming algorithm to find the minimum set of
differences and transmit them. Given that redisplay is likely nearly
continuous, I'd say the former makes more sense.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden